Oxford Road, Oakley – looking towards Oxford (1911)

Information below from 1911 Census

Oakley and Little London 1911

Total population: 512
Males: 275
Females: 237

Roads and populations
Bicester Road …… Buildings 21 Population 78
Brill Road ……… Buildings 50 Population 40
Little London Green. Buildings 10 Population 37
Manor Road ……… Buildings 12 Population 41
Oakley Common …… Buildings 8 Population 34
Oxford Road …….. Buildings 12 Population 57
School Lane …….. Buildings 7 Population 33
Thame Road ……… Buildings 4 Population 14
The Nap ………… Buildings 2 Population 14
The Turnpike ……. Buildings 4 Population 16
Worminghall Road … Buildings 23 Population 101
Outlying farms ….. Buildings 6 Population 34

Post Office Corner, Bicester Road and The Turnpike (1911)

Notable buildings
Chandos Arms – The Turnpike
Congregational Chapel – Bicester Road
Foresters Arms – Bicester Road
Post Office – Worminghall Road
Public Library – Manor Road
Royal Oak – Worminghall Road
Shoemaker’s workshop – School Lane
The Church – Bicester Road
The School – Bicester Road
The Vicarage – Bicester Road

The Chandos Arms, Oakley (1911)

Oakley Parish Council 1911 to 1915

Reverend James Skinner (Chairman), chairman and councillor from 1894 to 1935
Thomas Brooks, councillor 1894-1903 and 1907-1918
James Eborn Snr, councillor 1899-1906 and 1910-1921
George William Kirby, councillor 1904-1937
Charles Brooks, councillor 1910-1915 and 1919-1921
Charles Wheeler Snr, councillor 1910-1915 and 1919-1930
Parish Clark, John Brooks

Prominent Families
Hawes (60 residents)
Nixey (31)
Brooks (30)
Eborn (28)
Shirley (25)
Nappin (20)
Wyatt (20)
Kirby (16)
Pym (16)
Blake 915)
Gladdy (14)
Coleman (12)
Boyles (11)
Claridge (11)
Measey (10)

4th March 1912 – Storm havoc caused on Oakley Road, Brill

Most common male name
George (23)
John (23)
James (17)
Thomas (17)
William (14)
Charles (13)
Henry (11)
Richard (10)
Albert (8)
Arthur (8)
Joseph (8)
Most common female name
Elizabeth (18)
Mary (15)
Annie (14)
Sarah (13)
Ellen (11)
Emma (10)
Edith (8)
Hilda (7)
Emily (6)
Lillian (6)
Lucy (6)

Commonest birthplaces
Oakley, Bucks (309)
Brill/Little London, Bucks (65)
London (17)
Boarstall, Bucks (9)
Shabbington, Bucks (8)
Horton-cum-Studley, Oxon (7)
Wotton Underwood, Bucks (6)
Arncott, Oxon (4)
Coalville, Leicestershire (4)

Birthplace by county
Bucks (424)
Oxon (36)
London (14)
Hants (6)
Sussex (6)
Leics (4)

Manor Road, looking North (1911)

Kelly’s Post Office Directory – 1911
OAKLEY is a small village and parish near the borders of Oxfordshire, 7 miles north-west of Thame and 3½ miles south-west from Brill and Ludgershall station, on the direct Birmingham line of the Great Western railway, 16 west from Aylesbury and 10 west-by-north from Oxford, in the Northern division of the country, hundred and petty-sessional division of Ashendon, union and county court district of Thame, rural deanery of Waddesdon, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. The church of St Mary is a small but ancient building of stone in Transitional, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting chancel, nave with clerestory, and arcade of five bays separating it from the north aisle, south transept and a low western tower containing 4 bells and having a stair turret at the south east angle rising above the tower and capped with a spirelet and finial : in the south transept is a stained window of three lights, and the outside wall is a cinquefoiled arch over a sepulchral recess, in the north aisle are two tombs of the 13th century, one of which bears a cross finely carved on the upper slab, and on the other are traces of a brass; some wall painting formerly whitewashed, still exists : the north wall of the chancel retains a Decorated piscina, and the south transept a hagioscope and an ancient stone locker: in 1885 the chancel was entirely rebuilt at the sole expense of Charles Aubrey Aubrey esq. :in 1886 the interior was entirely re-floored and re-seated, and a new heating apparatus affixed, at a cost of £200, and in 1889 the Manor aisle was restored and a new pulpit, lectern and a font cover was provided. The total cost of the several works amounted to upwards of £1,065, of which £860 was contributed by C.A. Aubrey esq.: the church was further restored in 1909 by the late Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher bart. to whom there is a brass tablet erected by the parishioners: there are 200 sittings, most of which are free. The register dates from the year 1726. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, including residence and 100 acres of glebe (the whole of which is let in allotments), in the gift of the Sir Lancelot Aubrey-Fletcher bart. and held since 1896 by the Rev. James Skinner B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1845, affording 150 sittings. The Poor Folk’s pasture of 115 acres produces £102 yearly, which is distributed among the 34 poor persons of this parish, each of whom receives £3 yearly ;there is also another allotment of 4 acres, called the “Poor’s Piece,” producing an annual rent of £8, which is received by trustees and expended in the purchase of greatcoats and calico; Hart’s charity produces an annual sum of £2 14s which is retained by the trustees until it amounts to a sufficient sum for apprenticing the son of one of the poor labourers in the parish, the premium given varying from £20 to £25; Clark’s charity of £1 annually is applied to the repair of the parish church. Richard Turpin and Ralph Beal conveyed to two trustees and their heirs a parcel of land, known as “Church Lands”, consisting of rather more than 6 acres of pasture land and producing a rental of £10 yearly, which is also expended in church repairs. Hon Sir Lancelot Aubrey-Fletcher bart. of Dorton is lord of the manor. The soil is a deep tenacious clay, with various loams; subsoil, gravel and clay. The area is 2,806 acres ; rateable value, £3,075; the population in 1901 was 406 in the civil and 398 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By Local Government Board Order 19,618, dated March 25, 1886, Shabbington Wood Cottage was transferred from Shabbington to Oakley.
Parish Clerk, John Brooks.
Post Office – Mrs Elizabeth Eborn, sub-postmistress. Letters received through Thame via Brill at 7:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. Box cleared at 9:10 a.m. & 5 p.m. ; Sundays, 10:30 a.m. Brill, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Elementary school, enlarged in 1884, and further enlarged in 1901, for 140 children ; number on roll, 110 ; average attendance, 102 ; Walter Charles Allward, master.
Carrier to Thame, —- John Hawes, Tues.
—- Charles Cheese, Tues. & Fri.
Carrier to Oxford, —- John Hawes, Wed & Sat
—- Charles Cheese, Wed & Sat

Skinner Rev James B.A. Vicarage
Cheese, Charles Carrier
Claydon, Henry Blacksmith
Crook, Emanuel Farmer, Ixhill Farm
Hawes, Arnold Farmer, Common Farm
Hawes, George Grocer
Hawes, Henry Farmer, Ixhill
Hawes, John Grocer & Farmer
Hawes, John Foresters Arms P.H.
Hawes, William Farmer
Honour, Aubrey Farmer, Moorleys Farm
Kirby, George William Farmer
Kirby, James Farmer, Manor House Farm
Kirby, Thomas Farmer
Measey, Joseph Royal Oak P.H.
Shirley, Levi Farmer, Pasture Farm.
Stevens, Horace Archie Chandos Arms P.H.
Tanner, Foster Farmer, Waterslade Farm
Wheeler, Charles Boot maker
Wilkins, Arthur Farmer, Catsbrain Farm
Willis, Alfred Sun P.H.

Oakley Church, Bicester Road (obviously no War Memorial) (1910)
Oakley Silver Band – taken outside Chestnut Cottages (1910)

Occupations given on 1911 Census
Agriculture (146):

Farmer (19)
Allotment Farmer (3)
Smallholder (1)
Farmer’s wife (2)
Labourer (85)
Labourer / Allotment Farmer (7)
Dairy work / Cattleman (18)
Hay Tier (6)
Carter on Farm (3)
Ploughboy (2)
Shepherd (1)
Distribution (5)
Carman (2)
Carrier (2)
Carter (1)
Domestic (26)
Servant (9)
Housemaid (7)
House Keeper (4)
Charwoman, Cook, Gardener, Groom, Groom & Gardener and Kitchenmaid (all 1)
Education (3)
Head (1)
Teacher (2)
Woodman (5)
Labourer (7)
General (3)
Roadman (3)
Railway (1)
Medical (3)
Midwife, Cottage Nurse and Sick Nurse (all 1)
Religion (3)
Vicar (1)
Evangelist (2)
Trade (30)
Inn Keeper / Publican (4)
Assistant Inn keeper (4)
Boot maker (3)
Grocer (1)
Assistant grocer (2)
Baker (2)
Manager (2)
Insurance agent (2)
Blacksmith, Carpenter, Coal Merchant, Coal Hawker, Dressmaker, Horseman, Monitress, Post mistress, Thatcher and Wheelwright (all 1)

Oakley Football team 1910 – Back row: Reuben Shipperley, John Ridge, Walter Allward, Benjamin Brook. Middle Row: A. Hawes, Howard Colman, James Brooks; Front Row: George Blake, William Taplin, J. Fenemore, B. Hawes, Dennis Hawes

Age Profile in 1911 Census
0 to 9 (97)
10 to 19 (111)
20 to 29 (62)
30 to 39 (57)
40 to 49 (66)
50 to 59 (54)
60 to 69 (43)
70 to 79 (19)
80 to 89 (2)

Oldest man: George Jennings (85) of School Lane
Oldest woman: Sarah Shirley (79) of Little London
Youngest boy: Richard Hawes (2 months) of Fenemore’s Farm
Youngest girl: Ethel Nappin (7 months) Bicester Road